A walk in the woods

I went out to get some pictures of fall foliage in a nearby forest last week. My goal has been to shoot the same scene every few months to show the changing seasons, but every time I go there, I have a different camera or lens and the results don't quite match as a result. This time I went out with my super camera, a Phase One IQ250, and stopped short of the scene I had intended to shoot. This is because I spotted a different, narrower path through the trees than the one I had been shooting and I liked it better. The end result is that I got shots that I preferred to photos taken earlier, but if I want to get a full set of the seasons with the same trees in frame, I'll have to wait another 6-8 months to take new photos. I had one technical glitch while I was shooting that was quite disturbing, but I was able to fix it. I like to shoot landscapes with a cable release to minimize camera motion when pressing the shutter. For one shot I had to turn the camera to a vertical orientation, but when I did, the cable got pinched by the tripod mount. This caused it to send a signal to the camera that the shutter was half-pressed, causing the camera to start focusing and re-focusing over and over again. I disconnected the cable, but it kept happening, so I turned off the camera. When I turned it back on, the lens immediately started focusing and refocusing again. Then I tried removing the battery for the camera, then the digital back, then both, but none of these had an effect. Next, I removed the lens and then remounted it, but again, no improvement. Last, I removed the digital back and remounted it. That fixed the problem. For a few tense minutes though, I was worried I'd have to send the camera back for repairs.

Comments

Popular Posts