Next personal shoot--with luck

Lately I've been seeing modern designers being influenced by fashion from the Roaring Twenties. I've always liked these designs, so now I want to do a photo shoot that uses them, hopefully before school starts again in ten days. I don't know if I'll be able to set anything up that quickly, but if an opportunity presents itself, I'll take it. I do know of a couple locations that might be good: the first is a room at a dance studio that looks like it could have been furnished in 1940 or so. It has a piano, wood floors, and a bar in the back. I'd probably only get one shot of it because there isn't much variety in the room, but it is a good set. Another possibility would be one of the beach boardwalk areas like in Scheviningen or Zandvoort. Last year I saw some costumes from the 1920's at a costume shop in Den Haag. I wanted to rent them at the time, but now I prefer the idea of getting modern clothes in that style. So now all I need is the clothes, a stylist, makeup artist/hair stylist, and one or two models to get in front of the camera. Easy? Did I mention I have no budget for this? It is truly amazing to me that any photographer have managed to get into the field of fashion photography. I can understand photojournalism: you're standing there with a camera as a revolution takes place, so you take some pictures. After that, you just travel to places where something is likely to happen (an over simplification, but it's not like all the revolutionaries, victims, etc have to be scheduled for in advance and then paid for their time). Sports is similar but for that you may need special access to get a good position relative to the event you are shooting. For weddings you are invited to go wherever you need to be to get the shots you want. For fashion, you are almost making a movie. You have to plan your shots carefully in advance, find a team and hire them, then put it all together when you do the shoot. It is fun to do, but there are logistical hurdles to overcome long before you get near the shoot day. Having said all that, it would be nice to get this one shoot in before school starts--or within six weeks if not. Better start looking for a stylist...

Comments

Popular Posts