Still lifes and a hernia

What do you do when you find out you have a hernia? Nothing! That is, literally, nothing. What a pain. I think it happened when I was out on a shoot with VICEmedia for their new show, "Mr. Tachyon". We were in Amsterdam near Spui Plein when I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my abdomen. It happened a few more times, but I didn't know what it was. Chalking it up to indigestion, I walked back to the train station and came home.

The next day, I shot some photos in a nearby community garden. I didn't have an assistant, so I had to carry all my heavy gear by myself, about 22 kilograms or so. I thought about other shoots I wanted to do in the next few weeks before the end of my summer vacation. Some of the models I'd shot early in the month were game for a location shoot at a local restaurant, so I started thinking about how to plan that, as well as a couple of portrait shoots I'd been asked to do. After a few hours, I was done. I got the pain again when I lifted the heaviest of my bags to go home, but again, didn't think much of it. But the next morning I had a new bulge in my abdomen. That wasn't right at all. I looked it up online and discovered I had an inguinal hernia. My doctor confirmed it a couple of days later.

My surgery is scheduled for October, which leaves me with a lot of time on my hands. I had wanted to shoot people, and had people lined up to shoot, but all of those plans had to be cancelled. What could I shoot in my living room on a tripod so that I wouldn't have to lift anything? This is what led to the group of still lifes I started making. At first, I was annoyed that I couldn't shoot environmental portraits of people because that is loads of fun to do, but I found still lifes could be interesting as well. Here are a few of them, from the last couple of weeks.


















Comments

Popular Posts